Friday, November 23, 2012

Distorted (body) Image

Its funny how certain topics that I've been wanting to talk about come up during the day.  This one popped up because, well it's Black Friday and my mother and I went shopping.


Recently I've realized that I suffer from a slight case of Body Dysmorphic Disorder.


See, the thing is that I know I'm small.  I'm 5'3 123lb.  I'm tiny.  I understand this.  But I don't feel it, most of the time.

I think it goes back to 5th and 6th grade.  I was one of the first girls I knew to develop.  I had boobs and hips before basically everyone else.  I was so used to being this stick thin person and then suddenly to not be  while all my friends still were was hard.  I started wearing big shirts to hide in.  I felt so much bigger than I was.  Even in High School I was still surrounded by girls who I thought were smaller than I was.  I didn't buy a jacket or hoodie that actually fit me until Freshman year in college.

I refused to wear shorts because once a girl had made a comment about how big my thighs were.


I wasn't until end of Freshman year in college that I really started to appreciate my body so to have it changing on me again is sending me for a loop.

Now, I love my body.  I do. But that doesn't mean I don't feel weird about it sometimes.


Now I have weighed the same for the last like 6 years, but I am actually smaller than I have ever been and it's because I'm more active than I have ever been.  I know that I'm not in trouble because I weigh the same, but the fact that I look so much smaller and I'm seeing it is crazy.

This still surprises me when I go shopping because I FEEL bigger than I am so when I see myself in the mirror I think I look anorexic.  Which scares me, even though I know I eat.

I don't know, I guess this is just about how even though I love my body I don't feel comfortable with it, or that at least I have a distorted view on how I look.


These posts are becoming less and less eloquent.

No comments:

Post a Comment